Our pumps are offered with air motor options. Air motor benefits include:
- No electrical connections and associated complexities.
- Pump speed is easily controlled by regulating the air pressure.
- The pump can be run from a nitrogen bottle during maintenance or emergencies.
- Air motors run cooler than ambient temperatures.
- Air motors are lighter weight than their equivalent horsepower electric motor.
Air Pressure – All our pumps use air motors with a maximum recommended air pressure of 100 psi (690 kpa). A combination of pressure and volume determines motor speed. In most cases, maximum motor speed is not desirable, so a regulator is required to moderate the pump speed.
Air Volume – The necessary volume of air (cfm/lpm) is a function of the horsepower rating of the motor. This table provides reasonable guidelines:
The illustration below shows an ideal air supply setup for an air motor used in a high-temperature application:
- The master valve is used to cut off the air supply for servicing the air supply components including the filter, regulator, oiler, etc.
- The master valve location may be selected based on safety considerations. Closing the master valve or the quick acting valve will stop the operation of the pump.
- The factory air supply may be “CDA” or clean, dry air. If this is the case, eliminating the filter/separator is acceptable.
- The quick acting valve is typically a simple quarter turn ball valve located for ease-of-use and operator safety.
- A flow meter may be installed in series with the pressure regulator to provide additional operating information.
- The line oiler provides lubricant to the air motor. Due to the high temperatures of this application, the oiler must be located away from the molten metal bath.
- In most applications, it is desirable to use a flexible air hose between the oiler and the air motor. We recommend a 1” (2.5cm) air hose.
- The flexible air hose should not be subjected to convective heat flow from the metal bath, so a length of steel pipe is used to span the molten metal bath.